Start a new topic
Answered

If the data preview can see the data, why can't the chart preview get the data?

I have a couple of dashboard charts, both on the same table. Both of the queries behind them will produce data no problem in the Query Data Preview. In the chart preview, with charts are set up the same as other entities that DO work, both the charts for this entity I get a popup that says "Unable to retrieve data from the server"...I also get "Unable to display the chart. Some validation have failed" on the preview window. So if the data preview can see the data, why can't the chart preview get the data? (since I have almost identical queries and charts that work with other entities...the only difference is that the tables are different).

Best Answer

When queries are run for charts they are embedded into another query like this : 

select x, y from (select x,y) group by <your_chart_categories_and_series>

This means that if your query contains a semicolumn ";" in the end, it won't make your chart appear, but will make you Query Data Preview appear.

Also, depending on your database, some functions and other "order by" statements cannot be embedded.

You can find the root cause of your issue if you have a look at your Error log.

In version 5.3.4, a dashboard validation was added if a user has added a semicolon. 
1 Comment

Answer

When queries are run for charts they are embedded into another query like this : 

select x, y from (select x,y) group by <your_chart_categories_and_series>

This means that if your query contains a semicolumn ";" in the end, it won't make your chart appear, but will make you Query Data Preview appear.

Also, depending on your database, some functions and other "order by" statements cannot be embedded.

You can find the root cause of your issue if you have a look at your Error log.

In version 5.3.4, a dashboard validation was added if a user has added a semicolon. 
Login to post a comment