Start a new topic
Answered

The Data Location Variable (V_DATALOCATION) Doesn't Appear to Work in Dashboard

I am working in the Dashboard right now. I have a specific dashboard that buckets errors for Source Records, and groups and displays error type and count per Client. I created a drilldown Query Action that parameterizes an appropriate URL in order to allow a Steward to "jump" straight from the dashboard drilldown to a view of the given record and error. 

Because the logical name (not schema name) of the data location is different in Dev vs. Prod I have to use the V_DATALOCATION parameter to localize the URL to the correct environment.

Here is an example of the parameterized a URL: 

${V_SERVER_BASE_URL}mdm-app${V_DATALOCATION}/ClientMembers/browsing/ClientMember(SDWE)/%7B%22PublisherID%22:%22${b_pubid}%22,%22LoadID%22:${b_loadid},%22SourceID%22:%22${b_sourceid}%22%7D?fromAction=ClientMemberSourceErrors&tab=ClientMember

I did a little hunting around and I located the actual string for the data location value in the Repository in the Semarchy_Repository.ust_data_location.name column. I could in theory add that directly to my query and then use the returned query column to substitute for the parameter in the above URL, but I have my three schemas combined in Dev and separated in Production so permissions would be a problem. 

So I have two questions: 

1. Is there a way to simply get the parameter to work in the context above for this URL pattern or is this simply a bug and it should work?
(Note that oddly the ${V_SERVER_BASE_URL} parameter DOES work and is filled in at runtime properly)

2. Would it break anything if I hacked my Dev instance by manually changing the value in the Semarchy_Repository.ust_data_location.name to match what is in Production?

Best Answer

Hello Brent,

thank you for this interesting question again.

1. Dashboards are not supposed to connect to datalocations in particular, but to datasources, which could be used as datalocations, but also as discovery datasources, or for dashboards only. So that's why :V_DATALOCATION is not supposed to be returning any value inside dashboards.

2. Please don't put manual values in UST_DATA_LOCATION. You can follow this procedure to delete your dev datalocation WITHOUT selecting the option to drop the data, then follow the attached procedure to recreate the datalocation with the right name on the existing schema 

I hope this helps.

Stéphanie.

pdf
1 Comment

Answer

Hello Brent,

thank you for this interesting question again.

1. Dashboards are not supposed to connect to datalocations in particular, but to datasources, which could be used as datalocations, but also as discovery datasources, or for dashboards only. So that's why :V_DATALOCATION is not supposed to be returning any value inside dashboards.

2. Please don't put manual values in UST_DATA_LOCATION. You can follow this procedure to delete your dev datalocation WITHOUT selecting the option to drop the data, then follow the attached procedure to recreate the datalocation with the right name on the existing schema 

I hope this helps.

Stéphanie.

pdf
Login to post a comment